Thursday, June 15, 2017

Hi from Mars

I think I have seen more natural beauty in the past two days than I have seen in my entire life.

Yesterday we went to the Blue Lagoon, which is basically a giant adult bath tub made from the excess water from the geothermal plant next door. It was so odd and humbling to be swimming right up next to the huge rocky hills surrounding it.

Today was a geothermal day, so we saw two different power plants and walked around a geothermal hot-springs area where we hiked a pretty steep mountain with no safety anything whatsoever (mom you would’ve been freaking out). The view from the top was so well worth it though.

Now we are staying at an eco-village for the next 3 days, so more on that later!
I’m just going to put some pictures here because a lot of this can’t be described in words. Just some of my thoughts so far before I do that:

I actually feel like I’m on another planet. There were times where I’d look out the window of the bus, see nothing but moss-covered rocks with no wildlife whatsoever and think “This is literally Mars.” You’ll see what I mean with these pictures. Also the landscape changes are so dramatic. One side of the road can look completely different from the other, and in one minute of looking out the window, you can see 3 different views that you’ve never even imagined before. Mother Nature really had some fun with this place. It’s beautiful, it’s different, and it’s overwhelming!

It’s so safe here. My new friend Natalie and I went for a run this morning to some cliffs by the ocean (casual), and I felt safer being out and about here than I ever would have running at home. Plus the light-out-all-the-time part is an added bonus.

And lastly, 2 things I am thankful for: my hiking boots and my raincoat. Definitely necessary pretty much at all times I’m realizing.

So…for surviving and thriving? I’m gonna give myself some points here. But for being something I can’t even describe with words? I’m gonna give this country some too.
Charlie: 4

Iceland: 1005

Now pictures:












No comments:

Post a Comment